Thursday, January 28, 2010

Score high, score low

In any test or examination, some participants score high and some score low. If you believe there are reasons behind everything happen in the universe, then there must be reasons why some score high and some score low. Throughout my years of conducting tuition classes, I found that one of the major factors of scoring low is making mistakes. The easiest way to bring up the score is to avoid making mistakes.

So, my first tip is to know the common mistakes and how to correct them. It is by no mean an easy task because stubborn mistakes come from years of under-supervision since primary school days. But, with determination, everyone can. I have seen many students with low grades advanced to higher scores in a few months. Take Kevin (not his real name) for example, he came to my class with Grade F9 in N(A) Secondary 3 Elementary Mathematics in the middle of Year 2008. He scored B4 in 'N' level E. Maths that year. He carried on to score B3 in 'O' Level E. Maths in Year 2009. He is studying in Polytechnics currently. While in my class, he corrected many mistakes in his workings and that is one very important reason of his improvement. I have to confess that I was pretty upset by his mathematics ability and serious lack in confidence in the subject initially. I admire him very much for his determination and I consider him one of my best students. I wish him all the best.

I cannot put down all mistakes students made that I know of in one posting. Therefore, I shall put them down one after another under the heading "Tips and hints". I would like to urge teachers, tutors and students (not necessary mine) to comment on these postings and suggest to all of us better ways to correct those mistakes. As my knowledge on mistakes that students made is certainly far from exhaustive, your supplements are appreciated. Furthermore, I welcome any discussions that could help students to improve. I sincerely hope that these postings could help some students to have a better performance in their studies.

May all of us make lesser mistakes, not just in study but also in life. Amen, Au Mi Tuo Fo.......

Common mistake (1): sign ("+" and "-")


The image here is the largest I could figured out. For a clearer image, please go to http://www.letsdomaths.com/tips/cm1.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment